"Romeo + Juliet" (1996)



I have to admit that the story of ‘Romeo + Juliet’ is not one I’m a big fan of. It’s just...the whole concept behind this Shakespearean creation is something I’ve never been able to get on board with. I can’t say it’s not a good story because there are some compelling moments and some nice memorable quotes, I’ve just never understood how it’s ordained ‘the greatest love story the world has ever known’...it’s not. They both die. What’s great about that? I think the lesson to be learned from it is simply barbaric. They only knew each other for, if my calculations are correct, at the most three to four days.  And in all fairness neither character is someone to be looked up to. Romeo is not exactly the most honourable knight in shining armour; he’s a bit of an ass, really, to abandon Rosaline at the drop of a hat as soon as he found ‘someone better’. Who’s to say the same thing wouldn’t have happened to Juliet if they’d both lived to tell the tale? We never meet Rosaline, but I’ve always felt sort of sorry for her. Juliet, too, is not exactly a woman young girls should aspire to being. She is not one of Shakespeare’s strongest female characters, such as the likes of Portia from ‘The Merchant of Venice’, who proves she’s well worth her salt all on her own. Killing yourself because your “love” is dead is not exactly something that should be encouraged. This can also be said for Romeo. One has to point out that there are other fish in the sea!! Be sad, obviously, but there’s no need for such extremes when they only knew each other, as I say, for the most of a week! I know there are people who love this story, but...I’ve personally just ever got it.

You know what? I am sorry. That turned into more of a rant than I intended when I started typing... I apologise because this review, after all, is about the film.

In fairness to it, it’s a great film. (It has Leonardo DiCaprio, how could it be anything but!?) Baz Luhrmann gives it a very fast-paced and almost chaotic feel with the movements of the camera, particularly in the opening scene. It’s a little disorientating, and between that and the Shakespearean language, I admit I had to sit back, wondering ‘oh, what is going on?’ but once things settled down and we met Romeo, the story started to take shape. I always think Baz Luhrmann has a very distinct feel about his films; that you can surmise very quickly they were directed by him. I like that.



There are, as you probably know, many film versions of the famous tale made over the years, but what sets this one apart is the direct contrast Baz Luhrmann makes between Shakespearean time and modern time. The film is set in modern-day Verona, where guns have replaced the sword, and cars have taken the place of horses. However, he’s kept the Shakespearean language and surprisingly enough it works well. It’s a long way from the original tale as we’ve got drug usage, parties, drag queens...it’s all happening. Another turnaround from the original tale is the famous balcony scene. Rather, instead of Juliet looking down from her balcony as is the most well-known scene from the play dictates, in this version the scene takes place in a swimming pool.




Leonardo DiCaprio is perfect as Romeo. This being pre-Titanic time, before his career skyrocketed into what it would later become, he was already a star in his own right. I imagine it must have been one of his more difficult roles to learn as Shakespearean language was so specific and the ability to improvise couldn’t exactly be availed of as easily.


Claire Danes too, is brilliant in the role of Juliet. I always find it so hard to believe she was only seventeen!

The portrayal of Mercutio was not my favourite aspect of this film. Frankly, it was more of a relief when he died, it meant he stopped talking. The Nurse too is portrayed as a lovable character, referring to Juliet every time as Culiet, which always makes me smile. And of course I can’t forget Paul Rudd who plays Juliet’s suitor, Paris.

 


The soundtrack boasts a great collection of songs too, Radiohead’s ‘Talk Show Host’ being among them. They add to the mood of the scenes very well, I feel.

I always enjoy this film. It might not be for everyone, but I would definitely recommend it. 

Comments