"The Birds" (1963)



Here’s a horror film that should have really scared me, because I have Ornithophobia (which is a fear of birds). That’s why I was so eager to see this film because I was certain it would be a sure bet...I was mistaken. I can’t say it’s a bad film...it’s just not a very scary one. I think it’s the lack of music to accompany the scenes. There’s no tension built (I felt); nothing pulling you in, as such. I wonder if Alfred Hitchcock thought the sound of the flapping feathers would suffice on their own. Logic dictates for someone with Ornithophobia, that should work, but ostensibly it did not quite.

The story focuses on rich socialite Melanie Daniels, and lawyer Mitch Branner. After meeting in a pet shop, the two end up playing a series of practical jokes on each other; a tit for tat, kind of situation. She pays a visit to Bodega Bay, where Mitch spends the weekends with his mother and younger sister. Soon after her arrival the birds of the area begin acting strangely, attacking Melanie and various others around the town – basically, and ultimately descending to wreak havoc. As the film progresses, they begin attacking anyone outside a door – with no explanation behind it, which makes the concept even scarier. Something I find interesting is the fact that Alfred Hitchcock purposefully avoided concluding the film with a traditional “The End” title as he wanted to imply that the terror would continue without end. Lovely.

Here’s the thing. Speaking from experience, I feel that if the film had been made with pigeons instead of sea gulls and crows then it would have been so much scarier. Pigeons are the worst bird; they’re awful, like flying rats. They have no sense of personal space, you never know what they’re thinking, and they waddle up to you in flocks jerking their heads so abruptly, and their behaviour is just so untactful. I was in Paris a few years ago and visiting the Eiffel Tower wasn’t the nicest experience because there were pigeons everywhere. Anyway, it is for this reason, of all the remakes that end up being made of horror films these days, this is one which might actually benefit from it; this time using pigeons.



There was one scene in this film that involved a particular image that once seen, can never been unseen again. The birds took it upon themselves to peck the eyes out of one of the characters and Alfred Hitchcock did in no way spare us the pleasure of seeing this...sight. *shudder* It was quite horrible to be fair.

There is also another one scene involving Melanie being locked in a room full of birds flapping hysterically. Apparently this was also true in reality; they were real birds and the actress was locked in with them. Alfred Hitchcock sounds like he was a bit eccentric. How could you do that to a person? I didn’t particularly care for that scene. I couldn’t imagine what I’d do if that actually happened...I don't think I want to!





Looking back, I realise I never really got on board with the characters either, which I guess meant I didn’t really care what happened to them – and you need to care what happens to the characters otherwise, I think, the story will be sort of ineffective. I can’t say there was anything particularly wrong with the characters in this film though; I don't know what it was. 

Overall, I was disappointed with this film, really. That’s not to say others would feel the same as me! I have no doubt it was probably terrifying in its time. It’s certainly a very different idea; distinctive from other horror plots which is great. The concept is terrifying...the fear just didn’t come to me as I watched it for some reason. I was expecting to be scared, or at the least, get a fright, and I didn’t. Oh well J


TRAILER:




Comments