"Bridesmaids" (2011)



Thirty-something Annie is asked to be her friend Lillian’s Maid of Honour. In over head, but determined to do her best, she joins a group of hugely diverse women in their bid to make their friend’s wedding one to remember. And that they do. That they do.

I’ve been meaning to watch this one for a while to see what the fuss was about, but having watched it; I really don’t see what all the hype was for. When I was finished watching it, I felt like saying ‘Ok, I don’t know what to do with this...’ My honest opinion? I thought it was stupid...but so stupid that it was funny... I have to admit there were moments I just had to laugh because they were so ludicrous. I wasn’t too gone on the dialogue. The film as a whole is very crude...but I think we’re well warned of this before sitting down to it.

Perhaps the fact that it’s not really my genre, and the fact I didn’t really like the main character probably didn’t help boost my fondness towards the film. Actually, the only characters I had any likability towards were probably Chris O’Dowd’s character, Rhodes, and Melissa McCarthy’s character, Megan...maybe Maya Rudolph’s character, Lillian. The rest, I just couldn’t really get on board with properly at all.

That being said, I like the development that each character goes through by the end of the film. You can see they’ve changed, and learned something, which is important in a movie. You see this also in the relationships between Annie and Rhodes, Annie and Lillian, and even Annie and Helen. I like that. In fairness, the casting was perfect. I think each actor played their character really well. And there were some funny jokes, it has to be said. Stupid, but as I say, so stupid they were funny.


I imagine the people who are actually going through this period in their lives, or have been done it all before, would enjoy this film more than those who haven’t, because some of the experiences, shall we say, that these girls had in the build up to the wedding, are quite far-fetched to reality and just outrageous. It depends hugely I suppose on what kind of humour you enjoy, because I think this is geared towards a specific genre of humour. I haven’t been able to make up my mind on a final conclusion. I don’t think it’s a film I’ll be watching again, but obviously there is something in it that others seem to really like, so as I say, it depends on your taste, I guess!



TRAILER:



Comments