"The Holiday" (2006)



Written and directed by Nancy Meyers, Amanda (Cameron Diaz) and Iris (Kate Winslet) are polar opposites, living at opposite sides of the world, but who meet on the internet and bond immediately over their equal bad luck with romance. As a solution, they decide to spontaneously exchange homes for two weeks. They soon adjust to their initial culture shock and soon a new romance blossoms for each. For Amanda, it comes in the form of a British book editor played by Jude Law, and for Iris, a happy-go-lucky music composer played by Jack Black. Decisions regarding these new relationships must be made before the two weeks are up. While in America, Iris also befriends a retired screenplay writer named Arthur (Eli Wallach). The whole film is around 2 hours, but it never feels like that watching it.

I love this movie. I don’t normally like rom-coms, the ending is totally predictable, and because of this, logically, it’s probably exactly the kind of plotline that should irritate me abundantly if it was any other movie...But alas, it seems to have a certain charm that I haven’t quite deduced. I just love this movie.

I think it comes down to the characters. It’s one of the few movies where I just fell in love with each of the main characters equally. I couldn’t pick a favourite. Each of them have very likable personalities, and in ways relatable story lines. Four of them adore movies and are involved in the film industry in some shape or form, while the other is a book editor, so I mean...I’ve never found myself imagining this for any other movie but I reckon good conversation would be had with any of them! Jack Black’s character is so laid back and just sets out to enjoy life, it seems. I like scene in which he and Kate Winslet are in the video shop and he’s picking out different movies he says she should see. The character just seems like a fun person to be around. There’s something sweet about Jude Law’s character too. And then of course there’s Arthur, who is adorable in his own way.

  

The plot is essentially, boy-meets-girl...but I have to say I just love the script. The dialogue! I love the way they talk! I love the manner in which they deliver sentences. They don’t abbreviate anything and I really like that. I suppose it’s Jude Law and Kate Winslet’s characters that more specifically come to mind here. I also like that what is mentioned towards the start, or even throughout the film is brought back again by the end and wasn’t just mentioned for the sake of it. Jude Law’s character mentioned that he cried a lot, as opposed to Amanda who hasn’t cried since she was fifteen. This comes back by the end in which his statement is proved evident, and her struggle to cry is ultimately resolved.


I quite like the score as well, I have to say. This is the work of Hans Zimmer (who also did the score of Inception!!) I think it’s funny how he did the score and is also mentioned during the film too by Jack Black’s character as he ordains him a great composer...which he is, really! As well as the score written for the film, there are some other good songs thrown in there too. The combination of all the music, I feel, really makes each scene.

I just...I love this film. It might not be to everyone’s taste given its genre, but I would still recommend it 100% !


TRAILER:




Comments