"The Theory of Everything" (2014)



I really wanted to see this while it was in the cinema but for some disappointing reason I never got to it. However, I have finally seen it. And it was so worth the wait‼

Starring Eddie Redmayne and Felicity Jones, The Theory of Everything, in a nutshell, tells the story of Stephen and Jane Hawking.

This is an amazing film. It really is. Eddie Redmayne is fantastic as Stephen Hawking. He gave off a real innocence and humbleness which was wonderful. I loved the earlier scenes when he and Jane were first getting to know each other, for example the ‘winding back the clock’ scene. That was probably one of my favourites. It’s shaping the entire theme that ultimately carries through the entirity of the film, but also portraying the innocence between them, the friendship in its simplicity and I really like that. I loved the dialogue. I also love the scenes between Stephen and his college room mate, Brian. I loved the relationship between those two. Throughout the film, it was wonderful. I loved their dialogue.


One scene which sticks out for me in regards to Eddie Redmayne’s acting, is after Stephen has received his doctorate and they are celebrating the fact by having his friends over for a dinner. Stephen is struggling to eat and watching everyone else eating in front of him so effortlessly and unconsciously. He leaves the room and next we see the struggle he has to go up a stairs. His son watches him through the stair-gate at the top of the stairs. Stephen reassures him that it’s ok. This scene is really heartbreaking. It’s just…I don’t know how you could put words on it. The world just cruel. I admit I was ready to cry. I think Eddie Redmayne is extraordinary in this scene. It’s just the detail and the little things. He’s fantastic and more than deserved receiving Best Actor at the Academy Awards.

Felicity Jones is fantastic as Jane as well. Fantastic. She makes it seem so effortless.. All these feelings and emotions that Jane experiences through Stephen’s journey, all appear so natural. It’s wonderful. I love the scene in which Jane is explaining one of Stephen’s theories to their new piano teacher. I love how he smiles throughout her peas and potatoes demonstration. It shows how much she listens to him. She might not have always agreed or liked the foundation of his theories (for example his disbelief in God) but she took in everything and I think this scene shows his admiration or appreciation towards her for doing that. – Just my observation and opinion! What I love about it is that you can get a sense she isn’t happy about what she is saying, but she loves him enough to put that to one side, and Felicity Jones just plays this wonderfully.


My favourite sections of the film were the ones filmed in a kind of home-video style. For example, the wedding sequence, after they’d had their first child, and after Stephen got his automatic wheelchair . I really loved them because it was just something different, and it made it more personal, I suppose. Almost as if we were actually looking at their wedding video. These scenes bring is into their world in a way that “normal” shots wouldn’t. We feel like we’re there with them…if that makes sense!

 

Another scene which I must mention is following the operation he had on his throat and he could no longer speak. Jane was trying to try out a spelling chart, but he wasn’t going for it. I think this is another example of how fantastic Felicity Jones’ acting was in this film. She just makes it look so effortless. Jane soon lowers the chart and we see Stephen just begin to cry and he mouths ‘I love you’ to her. I did cry for that, because it was just so unfair all that he’d gone through up to this point, and for this then to happen is just cruel. This scene is so heartbreaking, but one of the more powerful scenes in the film.


There’s a moment towards the end when Stephen is up on stage giving a lecture and he notices one of the people in the audience has dropped a pen. He stops speaking and focuses on this pen, wishing he could pick it up. This moment almost made me cry too. It’s like this simple task that we take for granted that he can no longer do. Incidentally there was a moment in the beginning of the film where he himself dropped a pen and picked it up. I think by having such a seemingly irrelevant moment early on the film, brought about more emphasis for this particular moment. You can see how much he would love to be able to just pick up that pen for this person. It’s heartbreaking. More so when we actually do see him imagining he is able to stand up and walk down to retrieve this pen. It’s a very powerful moment in the film I think.

Since I’ve seen it, finally, I absolutely love this film. It’s wonderful. You laugh, you cry, you care hugely…It’s just a really beautiful film. Stephen Hawking and indeed Jane Hawking are both extraordinary, remarkable people.



TRAILER:




Comments