"Brooklyn" (2015)



Rating: PG-13
Genre: Drama
Directed By: John Crowley
Written By: Nick Hornby
In Theatres: Nov 6th, 2015
Runtime: 111 minutes
Studio: Fox Searchlight Pictures

Summary:
Young Irish immigrant Eilis Lace (Saoirse Ronan) navigates her way through 1950s Brooklyn. Lured by the promise of America, Eilis departs Ireland and the comfort of her mother's home for the shores of New York City. The initial shackles of homesickness quickly diminish as a fresh romance sweeps Eilis into the intoxicating charm of love. But soon, her past disrupts her new vivacity, and Eilis must choose between two countries and the lives that exist within.

Review:
I really enjoyed this movie! The story is relatively simple which is always a pro. The performances all around were superb. And it was shot beautifully.

Having been impressing audiences on the big screen since her Oscar winning performance at the age of just 13, in “Atonement”, she continues to do so with her lead role in “Brooklyn”. I loved the romance between Eilis and Tony, I thought it was incredibly cute! I liked the romance between her character and Dohmnail Gleeson’s character as well but I preferred hers and Tony’s. She seemed happier in herself more with him in Brooklyn. Julie Walters’ character was hysterical.


I’m actually really happy Eilis’ character made the decision she made towards the end. I was feeling a bit jittery because it could have honestly gone either way. But it went the way I hoped for. I’d have been very disappointed in Eilis’ character had she opted for the other way actually. I didn’t like how pushy, if not even a little manipulative her friends and family were back in Ireland. In the times she was there they were making all her decisions for her. It frustrated me to watch I have to admit!

I loved the production design – I loved all the outfits. And the vibrant colours; yellows, blues and greens. I was bright and colourful. I thought it was so ironic how everything seemed to become so much greener when she moved to America – it’s always Ireland that cinema seems to shed an abundant amount of green upon.

Had I one thing to say against the movie it would be suggesting it was too long – I think an hour and a half would have sufficed. I think the story could have been condensed and got across just as well in that much time. But it’s not by any means bad the way it is.

Really enjoyed this movie! Big thumbs up.



TRAILER: 




Comments